Monday 9 November 2015

Location details and photos

Before filming my trailer, I need to be able to consider some locations for filming to ensure that I am thinking about conveying my genre and keeping consistency and justification in my choice of locations. I am mainly going to use urban and suburban and derelict areas to convey a style working class, northern England, I have a number of locations in my head that can communicate my aims for the film trailer themes and I now need to go out and take some location shots so I can show that I have a clear understanding of my choices of locations and show that I have thought about how they are going to fit my themes and genre effectively.

Interior shots
exterior shots
The majority of my shots will be exterior because I think this is how I will be able to best convey the themes of my chosen genre, this is because there are a number of exterior locations in Macclesfield that are run down, derelict or not in use which I think will be very beneficial for me being able to communicate the themes within my genre

Upton alleyway#1

Upton alleyway#2

These locations are good because they convey the themes and connotations of run down, working class areas which we see in many British social realism films, which is something I want to be able to establish in my film trailer. I am only going to use these locations for shots that link one scene to another, there will be no dialogue or notable action, but I think these kind of shots work well in a film trailer.
These locations are normally quiet so I shouldn't have much of an issue with the members of the public, however I need to be aware of this possibility that members of the public could be concerned as to why I am filming there.
West park cremetorium

West park cremetorium

West park cremetorium

West park cremetorium

West park cremetorium
This location is good because they are quiet meaning that background noise shouldn't be much of an issue and it also helps convey a sense of calm-potentially a calm before the storm kind of atmosphere I can also access a number of different shots in the same location and make it look as if I am in a different location which means it has ample filming conditions.

Although, the area in which it is filmed could potentially mean there are people there reminiscing, who may be upset if I film there. So I would need to go there at a time where it is likely to be quiet and also inform the person that is in charge of cremetorium activities.


Establishing shot from sparrow park

Sparrow park

Near sparrow park

Sparrow park
I like this location because it is the kind of place where you might expect there to be a sense of hostility or tension in a drama or social realism film. It is an ideal place to film because it is quiet in terms of both sound and volume of people that go there, it is also in a location that enables me to get some establishing shots of the urban town area because there are some good views to be seen from here.
Again, the main issue with this location is members of the public because, although it is a quiet area, there is always a good chance that there are going to be people there so I need to ensure that the council and anyone that is in that location is informed of my purpose for being there

Train underpass

Train underpass
 This location is good because it is well lit up at night which is when I want to film there, so I don't have to worry about lighting too much, it also has a very sinister vibe to it, which is something I want to be able to establish in my film trailer because this will be a location where bad things happen. It is the kind of location where you would expect something bad to happen, though in reality it isnt a very dangerous area so there isn't a high risk of running in to trouble when filming there that might be expected.

Main issues are ambient sound and people-due to the fact that it is under a train station, there is likely to be some loud noise from trains-so I will need to be aware of when the trains are setting off and making noise. Also, it is a well used underpass-as you can see in the photos, there are people walking past because I couldn't really get a shot where there weren't people in the shot-this could be challenging to avoid, but informing people should avoid this.

Key learning points 
This is the first blog post which has meant i've had to go out and look at potential locations and photograph the ones that I think will work best in my film trailer, It has made me think about how I can use each location to convey the themes of my genre in terms of the connotations that the locations give off. This blog post has made it more clear to me what locations should be used in my film trailer because I've been able to go out, look at locations and compare what they connote in comparison to other films similar to my genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment