Wednesday 6 January 2016

Film poster draft feedback

Below is a draft of my film poster.



As a part of this process, I was required to create a draft version of my film trailer. I chose a colour scheme of black, white and red because they connote dramatic themes of danger, violence and grit. These are three themes that I want to be able to convey because they fit in to my genre quite specifically, social realism is a difficult genre to recognize on film poster, because they usually use an image that is quite simplistic and hard to pin down a genre on. However, after studying other film posters of the social realism genre such as 'Spike Island' and 'This Is England', I think this film poster effectively conveys the genre through the use of colour scheme, fonts and the image. The main font I've chosen is a sans serif font with a shredded effect to it, I wanted to be able to make the main title look as if it had been damaged or eroded because this connotes further themes of destruction and grit. This type of font is often seen on social realism film posters because they are very bold and easy to read and stand out as a dramatic font. The image itself was taken in an alleyway because I wanted to be able to use a bleak style of lighting, which is something that this location offers and also wanted to have an imperfect background because It connotes the themes of grit that I am going for. The subjects in the poster are positioned to promote the idea of two antagonists and the key protagonist, they are positioned behind the subject with glaring expressions to connote themes of peer pressure, aggression, back stabbing, manipulation, isolation etc.

Overall, I was relatively satisfied with my film poster draft, but I am aware that there is need for improvement in areas. I received useful feedback and constructive criticisms to help me improve my film poster.

What works well...
The main aspects of the poster that people thought work well are the font choices, colour scheme, positioning of actors and the image. People seemed to like the simplicity of the image and the editing because there isn't much going on, but it is still able to communicate with the potential audience what some of the themes in the film might be.

Even better if...
The main criticism I received was that I should add a tagline, this is something that isn't necessarily always on film posters, so I decided not to have one. Though from my feedback, It is clear that I should consider using a tagline for my final poster, however, I should ensure that it isn't 'cheesy' or over the top, because this may stray away from the themes of social realism.
Other criticisms were that I need to be able to think of names for production companies and awards/reviews, this is something that I was aware of and need to think of some appropriate distribution/production company names and also some appropriate award titles. Also received feedback that the credit block needs to be smaller.

Key learning points
This task has been pivotal in developing my understanding of film posters and how to create an effective film poster that portrays its genre clearly. This required research by looking at film posters from other social realism film genres to effectively portray my genre which meant that I was able to recognize what themes should be incorporated in to my poster and what I should avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment